The original colours were those of the Newcastle Regiment of World War 1 - green and brown.
In 1999 the school decided to change our colours (and uniform colours) to reflect our emerging focus as a performing arts high school
Black, aqua and purple were chosen. However, to keep our link with the Regiment colours our new logo (the mask, dancer and bass clef) was also incorporated into a shield design which has ribbons of brown and green, to be used on formal occasions.
1923-1931: Newcastle Central School
In 1922 the Minister for Education, Mr Mutch, announced the calling of tenders for the building of the Central Newcastle School on the fifteen acre site acquired by the Department at Broadmeadow. There would be three main blocks of buildings, the central one to provide for ordinary class-work and science, one for domestic science and one for manual training work.
Industrial training was required to service the employment needs of the Broken Hill Proprietary Company that had commenced operations in 1915. In July 1923 Colonel A. Bennett became Head Master and Miss Zillah Bocking became Mistress of the girls’ section. Central School was set up to provide domestic, commercial and technical courses.
Soon after its commencement the school adopted brown and green, the colours of the 35th Battalion and at the same time the school motto was determined as “Man is the architect of his own destiny” or “Faber Est Suae Quisque Fortunae”.
Girls and boys were separated during lessons but joined for social and sporting activities. The school magazine was a joint effort. There were mixed clubs in drama, musical items, gardening, philately and debating. Sporting activities were an important part of school life for the girls at Central with swimming, tennis, basketball, hockey and vigoro available. Many teams and individuals represented the school at inter-school sporting events. Physical culture was also a popular leisure activity for the girls.
The first Mothers’ Club formed in 1925 was the forerunner of the Ladies’ Auxiliary. The Mothers’ Club raised the money to furnish the girls’ cottage and to provide for other amenities for the school. Social evenings and concerts were organised and all proceeds went to the school. By 1927 a P & C Association was formed to carry on fund-raising efforts.
By 1931 numbers of 423 girls and 728 boys indicated that another school was urgently needed for the district. In December 1931 the new school in Dumaresq St, Hamilton South, was officially opened and was known as Newcastle Central Domestic Science School.
At the 15th Anniversary of the school in 1938 an Honour Board, made by the boys of the Central Technical School, was presented to the school at Hamilton South showing the fraternity that existed between the schools at that time. The names of the School Captains from 1923 to 1938 were inscribed on the board.